A guide to content marketing for accountants
Did you know that content marketing brings in three times as many leads as traditional marketing?
By reading this guide for accountants you will discover how to grow your business and increase sales through effective content marketing.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is the process of generating topic ideas and producing content that your clients and potential clients want to read.
You might create written or visual content such as:
What are the benefits of content marketing for accountants?
Content marketing promotes brand awareness, create leads and sales, and develops trust and customer loyalty.
Through content you speak to your audience, provide solutions to their problems, educate them about your brand, start conversations and develop lasting customer relationships.
Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates 3x the leads, so it really is a no-brainer.
How do you create content people want to read?
- Choose the right topic. Select a topic that is relevant and interesting to your audience. Download A simple guide to creating high-ranking SEO content from the homepage of our website to discover how to find topic ideas.
- Fulfil the promise of your headline. Keep your content relevant, stick to your topic and cover it thoroughly.
- Write simply and clearly. Use short sentences, short paragraphs and bullet points. People are busy and they want to skim down to the information they need.
- Write concisely. Don’t use three words when one will do. Forget school essay writing.
- Consider design. Incorporate strong design elements to make your posts more effective. Blogs that include relevant images receive 94% views than those without.
- Make it accessible. Your content must be easy to find. If you have written a blog post ensure users can clearly navigate to it from your website homepage, for example. All content you publish on the internet must be search engine optimized (SEO-friendly) so people can find it.
Why is it important to publish high-quality content?
Every piece of content you publish should be outstanding. Here’s why:
- A website landing page is often where potential customers first meet a company. Statistics show that the average time spent on visiting a website is 45 seconds. It’s a tight window and you need to make an impact in that time.
- A study from Rakuten Marketing indicates that the average customer makes 9.5 visits to a brand before buying. So, you can see the importance of keeping your webpages up-to-date and providing enticing content.
- Small businesses that blog get 126% more lead growth than small businesses that do not blog.
- Website conversion rate is nearly six times higher for content marketing adopters than non-adopters (2.9% vs. 0.5%).
- Companies that blog get 55% more website visitors.
How can you promote your content?
When you write any content for the internet (blog posts, webpages etc.) you need to make sure it is visible to search engines. Find out more about search engine optimisation (SEO) by downloading A simple guide to creating high ranking SEO content from the homepage of our website.
These are our tips for promoting blog posts:
- When you write a blog post actively promote it to your email list. You could copy and paste the hook of your blog post (the first paragraph or two) into an email along with a link to your post. Do not forget to include an ‘unsubscribe’ button on every email so you comply with GDPR regulations.
- Share links to your content on your social media accounts. If you have employees encourage them to share it too.
- If you have mentioned any influencers in your blog post actively tag them with the post link on social media. As long as your post is high-quality they are likely to share the link!
- Write multiple social media posts from one, long blog post. Do this by pulling out interesting snippets (statistics, quotes, interesting facts etc.) and turning them into posts or infographics. Link these ‘snippets’ to your blog post.
- You could also consider promoting a blog post through social media advertising such as a Facebook advertisement. This is a low-cost way to get your content in front of people, especially if you are a new business.
How long does it take to see results from content?
Content marketing is a long-term strategy, and you need to be patient. If you post quality content consistently and often, and you make sure people can find it then you will reap the rewards.
Once you are regularly publishing and sharing content it is time to analyze its effectiveness.
Using tools such as Google Analytics will help you understand which pieces of content are driving traffic to your website and resulting in conversions. This will give you an idea of what is resonating with your audience and what needs refining. Look at your organic and referral data, bounce and exit rates to identify successes or issues.
Now you have all the tools you need to create content and make it work for you. Remember to keep your audience as the focus, try different types of content creation, and keep it interesting and helpful.
Do you need help with content creation and strategy?
Content marketing is fundamental to the success of any business. However, we understand it is no mean feat and it takes time to implement effectively. Our experts in content marketing for accountants can guide you.
If you want to know more about how we can help you grow your accountancy firm, please visit our website or send us an email.